© Guy Krier

Useldange Castle

Where? 2, rue de l'Église, L-8706 Useldange

Useldange Castle

The division of estates created the lordship of Useldange around the year 1100.
The first Lord was Theobald of Useldange and his wife Azeka. This dynasty became extinct around 1250. John of Rodemacher becomes the legitimate lord of the manor by his marriage to Irmgart of Boulay in 1415. Due to intrigues in the course of the war between France and Burgundy the Rodemachers didn't survive for long. Maximilian Ist confiscated Useldingen in 1479 and handed it over to Christopher of Baden. As a result of these upheavals, the castle and chapel suffered serious damage. William of Nassau-Vianden inherited the stronghold only to sell it to François Sebastian Bauer of Everlange in 1674. There follows a period when the feudal castle falls into total ruin ending up as a stone quarry. The chapel was demolished in 1903.

Mrs Kuhn-Wolff, a native of Useldange who had emigrated to the United States at the age of 18, purchased the ruins in 1924 and returned to Useldange to renovate the castle. Although the new owners started strengthening the walls and the keep, they did not respect the original architecture and by 1934 the large entrance gate and palace were replaced by a modern villa which is used today as the town hall.

A cultural itinerary for the partially sighted

A trail for partially sighted visitors has been set up under the patronage of UNESCO. It leads around the castle and inside the tower and presents local culture in sixteen stages. The partially sighted are literally offered the opportunity to feel, hear and touch History.

The cultural itinerary also aims to present the local wildlife and integrates the aromatic herbgarden to encourage visitors to discover the great variety of local plants and herbs - well marked by specially designed pannels for partially sighted visitors.

Admission is free for self-guided tours.


Culture info

  • Audio tour
  • Visit possible (& visit information): guided tours
  • Audio guide rent

Opening hours

Opening hours are subject to change. Please check them before your visit in order to be sure.
Monday27.05.2024 : 08:00 - 19:00
Tuesday28.05.2024 : 08:00 - 19:00
Wednesday29.05.2024 : 08:00 - 19:00
Thursday30.05.2024 : 08:00 - 19:00
Friday31.05.2024 : 08:00 - 19:00
Saturday01.06.2024 : 08:00 - 19:00
Sunday02.06.2024 : 08:00 - 19:00

Contact

Address: Useldange Castle
2, rue de l'Église
L-8706 Useldange
Show on map

More offers

min.115 €per group
USELDANGE - Guided tour for people with intellectual impairment (90 min.)

  • Guided tour of 90 minutes
min.115 €per group
USELDANGE - Tour for visitors with visual impairment (90/120 min.)

Guided tour of 90 or 120 minutes (depending on the request of the client)

min.115 €per group
USELDANGE - Guided Classic Tour (90 min.)

  • Guided tour of 90 minutes 
min.115 €per group
USELDANGE - Child-friendly tour (90 min.)

  • Guided tour of 90 minutes

More sites

Schoenfels Castle
Schoenfels Castle
Find out more
© Meyer Sandra
Colpach Castle
Colpach Castle
Find out more
© ORT CO - Marc Lazzarini
Pettingen Castle
Pettingen Castle
Find out more
© Visit Guttland - Wolfgang Staudt
Ansembourg Castle
Ansembourg Castle
Find out more
Hesperange Castle
Hesperange Castle
Find out more
Senningen Castle
Senningen Castle
Find out more
Septfontaines Castle
Castle with massive renaissance tower in Septfontaines
Find out more
Mersch Castle
Mersch Castle
Find out more
Koerich Castle - Gréiweschlass
Koerich Castle - Gréiweschlass
Find out more