© ORT CO - Marc Lazzarini

Pettingen Castle

Where? 25, Rue du Château, 7463 Pettingen

Pettingen Castle

The beautiful ruins testify to the power of the former castle. In the 10th Century the fortress of Pettange was known by the name of 'Pittigero Mazini' which by the 13th Century had become Pettange or Pittange.

Throughout the Middle Ages the names of the lords of Pettange are connected with Luxembourg's major events e.g. the wedding of Ermesinde, the accession to the throne of Henry IV, and the marriage contract of Count John the Blind.

The first land registry of 1824 reveals the state of the castle: Buildings still in use at the time were attached to the four outer walls. Southwest of the castle stood a larger building, which has now completely disappeared. In 1850, the historian Engling notes the decline of the castle.

In 1910, the then owner, Prince of Arenberg had anything of value removed from the castle. In 1920, the south facade collapsed. The castle was used as a quarry.

Opening hours

Opening hours are subject to change. Please check them before your visit in order to be sure.
SundayClosed
MondayClosed
TuesdayClosed
WednesdayClosed
ThursdayClosed
FridayClosed
SaturdayClosed

1.1-31.12

Contact

Address: Pettingen Castle
25, Rue du Château
L-7463 Pettingen
Show on map

More sights

© Visit Guttland - Wolfgang Staudt
Ansembourg Castle
Ansembourg Castle
Find out more
Mersch Castle
Mersch Castle
Find out more
Septfontaines Castle
Castle with massive renaissance tower in Septfontaines
Find out more
Koerich Castle - Gréiweschlass
Koerich Castle - Gréiweschlass
Find out more
© Guy Krier
Useldange Castle
Useldange Castle
Find out more
© Meyer Sandra
Colpach Castle
Colpach Castle
Find out more
Hesperange Castle
Hesperange Castle
Find out more
Schoenfels Castle
Schoenfels Castle
Find out more
Senningen Castle
Senningen Castle
Find out more