German Cemetery Sandweiler
Where? Scheidhof, L-5211 Sandweiler
This impressive war gravesite with around 10,900 graves bears witness to the fierce fighting that took place in Luxembourg and on its borders during World War II.
The German military cemetery Sandweiler houses 10,913 graves of German soldiers who fell mainly during the Battle of the Bulge in the winter of 1944/45 in the Ardennes and the eastern border areas of Luxembourg. 4,829 soldiers are buried in the mass grave "Kameradengrab" under a large black native "Eifel" lava cross. Their names are cast on bronze plaques arranged in a circle around the central cross. The German cemetery in Sandweiler belongs to the German War Graves Commission and is in striking contrast to the nearby Luxembourg-American cemetery in terms of design and construction.
A visit to both cemeteries is quite feasible in terms of distance (less than 2 kilometres) and time and is highly recommended.
- Accessible to all