TGV EST: Paris - Luxembourg 2h05
Since 2007 the TGV (high speed train) replaces the express trains between Paris and Luxemburg. The journey between the two capital cities only takes two hours and five minutes. Several round trips a day will take passengers from Paris (Gare de l'Est) to Luxembourg or vice versa.
National airline Luxair
The national carrier Luxair connects Luxembourg with the main European airports. Being a full member of the Miles & More programme, Luxair Luxembourg Airlines offers its loyal customers all the benefits of this world wide programme.
Several flights a day to Paris, Madrid, Porto, Lisbon, Barcelona, Nice, Rome, Milan, Geneva, London city, Dublin, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Munich, Vienna, Berlin, ...
An air-taxi operates at the airport. Phone +352 26 43 65 - 1, Fax +352 26 43 65 - 366, E-mail: email@example.com.
The bus service of the city of Luxembourg connects the airport with the centre of town and the station (price: 2,00 €, ticket valid for 2 hours). The price for taxi ride from the airport to the station is about ± 20 €. For all information concerning time-tables and fees, please apply directly to:
Tel. +352 2456 4242
The Luxembourg air terminal welcomes 13 airlines serving 24 countries and 67 airports with over 800 flights a week on average.
Aéroport de Luxembourg
Tel. +352 2464-0
Luxembourg is proud to be the first country in the world to offer nationwide free public transport. You will no longer need a ticket to board any national bus, train or the tram. However, first class train tickets and passes will remain valid. Free public transport ends at the border.
Conveyance of bicycles free of charge (if enough space is available). The information office at Luxembourg station is open daily from 6 AM to 10 PM. Departure and arrival hours of public transport are found at the bus stops and at the stations.
www.cfl.lu, +352 2465-2465 (timetables for nat. and internat. trains)
www.mobiliteit.lu (timetables for busses and trains in Luxembourg)
www.transports.lu (Ministère des Transports)
www.tgv.lu (TGV train station Luxembourg)
If you need a car you have a large choice of car rental companies in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
Aral Center Diekirch
Indigo Car Hire
Unlike in other countries, taxi operators in Luxembourg are allowed to set their own fares. Their fare schedule must follow the model shown above and should be displayed clearly in the rear passenger window. In addition to charging by kilometre, taxi operators are permitted to set flat rates. It is possible to negotiate a flat rate with the driver if they are also the operator of the taxi. However, please be aware that there is no requirement for the operator to offer flat rates or to negotiate fares by destination (e.g. Luxembourg–Brussels, Airport–Luxembourg City). It is also possible for a taxi operator to offer a range of flat rates. In this case, be sure to ask the driver for a detailed list of the rates they charge.
Extracts from the Highway code
- Every driver of a motor vehicle with foreign registration must produce on demand:
1. a current driving licence valid in his own country;
2. a current registration certificate or licence for the vehicle in his charge;
3. a valid insurance certificate, except if according to the laws of his country such a certificate isn't required.
- The driver of a vehicle with foreing registration must comply with conditions relating to age and capacity named in the laws of the country of registration.
- Motorcyclists must use dipped headlights even by day.
- Use of the horn is restricted to emergency situation
- Speed is limited to 50 km/h in all built-up areas in the country. In addition, the speed limit outside built-up areas is 90 km/h. This limit is raised to 130 km/h on motorways. For vehicles which are towing (including cars towing caravans), the speed limit is 75 km/h outside built-up areas, and 90 km/h on motorways. The speed limits apply even where this is not indicated by signposts. Any exceptions to these limits are marked.
- As indicated by signs, parking in certain zones is allowed only with a properly displayed parking disc. Parking meters are also in use. Special parking places are assigned for disabled persons (wheelchair symbol).
- Wearing a seat belt is compulsory on all seats (front and back) which are equipped with.
- Tyre tread must be at least 1.6 mm deep all over the surface.
- Winter tires.
From october 1st, each conductor of an anywhere matriculated vehicle has to apply M & S winter tires for circulation on the national road networks, but only in the case of glazed frost, freezing rain, snowmelt, heavy snow. Moto coaches and busses have only to apply winter tires on their spindle with pinion. Mopeds, motorcycles, tri- or simple four cycles are not concerned by the new regulations. Nor are vehicles for which M &S winter tires do not exist.
- In the event of an infringement, officers of police may impose a fine, if the driver is aged over 18 years, and pays them the fine immediately, which may vary between 24 and 145 €, depending on the degree of seriousness of the offence. An alcohol level in the blood of less than 0.5 g/l is allowed and testing is by alcohol test or by alcohol meter.
Motorists who are members of an AIT or FIA-Club should apply to the Automobile Club of Luxembourg for any advice or assistance they may need while travelling in the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg. The ACL assures a permanent road service.
Automobile Club du Luxembourg (ACL)
54, route de Longwy
Offices are open from Monday to Friday from de 8.00 AM to 6 PM.
Break-down service 24h/24.
Phone +352 26000