©Eric Threinen / Luxembourg City Tourist Office

Chemin de la Corniche

Where? Chemin de la Corniche, L-1468 Luxembourg

Chemin de la Corniche

Also called “the most beautiful balcony of Europe” (according to the Luxembourg writer Batty Weber), it runs along the Alzette valley on the ramparts - built by the Spaniards and the French in the 17th century - from the Bock Promontory up to the lower part of the Holy Ghost Citadel, the so-called “Rondellen”.

Up to the year 1870 the Corniche had staircases in steep parts which were levelled off only after the dismantling of the fortress. Moreover the greatest part of the protecting wall with its loopholes was cleared away so as to disclose a superb panorama on the valley of the Alzette, the city district of Grund and the Rham Plateau.

Opening hours

Contact

Address: Chemin de la Corniche
Chemin de la Corniche
L-1468 Luxembourg
Show on map

More sites

©Paul Dostert
Villa Pauly
From August 1940 on, the Gestapo had installed their headquarters on these premises.
Find out more
©Luxembourg City Tourist Office
Vauban Towers
The Vauban Towers are named after the medieval constructions they replaced: the Eich Gate and the Bons Malades Gate.
Find out more
©Gaul’s Legacy Tours
Patton's headquarters in Luxembourg
The use of the “Fondation Pescatore” building by General Patton as the Headquarters for his Third US Army (THUSA), is primarily known because of “Patton’s Prayer” in the chapel on the first floor of the building.
Find out more
©Marc Lazzarini - standart / Luxembourg City Tourist Office
The State Savings Bank
The State Savings was created by law in 1856.
Find out more
©SIP
National Monument of the Solidarity
Inaugurated in October 1971 the “National Monument of Luxembourg solidarity”, called Kanounenhiwwel (mound of canons) by the locals, is the central place for national commemorations of all the victims of World War II, underlining the solidarity that Luxembourgers showed during the dark years of Nazi occupation.
Find out more
Museum-Memorial of Deportation
During the German occupation (from 1942 to 1944) the former railwaystation of Hollerich was the point of departure of numerous young people forcefully enroled in the German army and of 4000 people that were forcefully “resettled” in Eastern parts of Germany for political reasons, loosing all their belongings in Luxembourg.
Find out more
©Sabino Parente Photographer
Melusina statue
The statue of the legendary mermaid Melusina by Luxembourg artist Serge Ecker, created by 3D printing, was installed in the Grund Viertel on the banks of the Alzette river in 2015
Find out more
©Gauvin Lapetoule
Adolphe Bridge
Adolphe Bridge
Find out more
©Gauvin Lapetoule
Thematic paths
Vauban Circular Walk
Distance: 5,16 km
Duration: 3:00 h
Difficulty: medium
Find out more

Saint-Esprit Citadel: 3D virtual tour