Where? L-7463 Pettingen
The beautiful ruins testify to the power of the former castle. In the 10th Century the fortress of Pettange was known by the name of 'Pittigero Mazini' which by the 13th Century had become Pettange or Pittange.
Throughout the Middle Ages the names of the lords of Pettange are connected with Luxembourg's major events e.g. the wedding of Ermesinde, the accession to the throne of Henry IV, and the marriage contract of Count John the Blind.
The first land registry of 1824 reveals the state of the castle: Buildings still in use at the time were attached to the four outer walls. Southwest of the castle stood a larger building, which has now completely disappeared. In 1850, the historian Engling notes the decline of the castle.
In 1910, the then owner, Prince of Arenberg had anything of value removed from the castle. In 1920, the south facade collapsed. The castle was used as a quarry.