Petrusse Casemates

Petrusse casemates
Petrusse casemates Petrusse casemates stairs Canon in casemates inside casemates
  • Petrusse casemates
  • Petrusse casemates stairs
  • Canon in casemates
  • inside casemates


The Pétrusse casemates are temporarily closed.

Their origin goes back to 1644, when the Spaniards reinforced the medieval fortifications. Under the supervision of the Swiss fortress builder Isaac von Treybach, they built - among other defence works-the powerful Beck Bastion, named after Governor Baron Johann von Beck, a native of the city who had played a key role in the Wallenstein affair on the side of the Emperor. Initially this bastion was as high as the adjacent terraces on the right; it was raised to the present level of Constitution Square (the wall is 27 meters high) by Vauban in 1685. In 1673 the Spaniards erected the so-called "Ravelin du Pate" to strengthen the defence of the Beck Bastion; this triangular construction is one of the few well-kept fortifications. Marshall de Vauban conferred the present shape to all the Petrusse fortifications and built the "Small Staircase". From 1728-29 the Austrians added the "Bourbon Lock" and the "Large Staircase" and in 1746 the casemates of the "Petrusse Battery" (54 gun emplacements). One century passed and the fortress was enlarged and reinforced: the second ring was extended and the third started, so that Luxembourg became the "Gibraltar of the North". By and by, the Petrusse fortifications fell into oblivion and neglect, as their strategic momentum limited itself to the valley. After the dismantling, stipulated by the 1867 London Treaty, they confined themselves to walling up the loopholes and most entrances. Only in 1933 were the Petrusse casemates valorized again: on 26th July, the first visitors were able to visit them.

Photo: (c) Cathy Giorgetti, LCTO



The Pétrusse casemates are temporarily closed.


  • Visit possible
  • Guided tour
  • Guided audio tour




Place de la Constitution

L-2449 Luxembourg City
Tel.: +352 22 28 09
Fax: +352 46 70 70

In the surrounding area

visit casemates

Bock Casemates

Luxembourg City

In 963, Count Siegfried built a fortified castle on the...

Grand-ducal Palace

Grand Ducal Palace

Luxembourg City

As the town residence of the Grand Duke, the grand-ducal...

Hesperange castle

Hesperange Castle


The locality of Hesperange was first mentioned in 867 /...

Petrusse casemates

Petrusse Casemates

Luxembourg City

The Pétrusse casemates are temporarily closed....

Pétrusse river

The Former Castle of the Counts of...

Luxembourg City

The name Luxembourg was first mentioned in 963 when count...