Type : Visits of castles, Ruins of castles
The old castle, protected by a moat, was built in four periods. The oldest part of the castle dates from the early 11th century. It was a small square-shaped fortress on a massive rock, surrounded by a wide ditch and a second wall facing the valley. Around the first half of the 12th century, a flanking tower was added and the access gate was moved and enlarged.
The wing containing the well and the upper rooms as well as the lower part of the main tower date from 1348.
The castle of Beaufort was ruined by the Thirty Year War and the owner was forced to sell up. In 1639, Johann Baron de Beck, governor of the province of Luxembourg on behalf of the Spanish king, acquired the greatest part of its properties. It's likely he built the wing with the large Renaissance style windows in the main tower and the northwestern cannon tower. After 1643 he ordered the building of the new renaissance chateau.
The old castle slowly decayed. At the beginning of the 19th century, it was even used as a quarry. In 1850, the Luxembourg government declared the castle a cultural heritage.
In 1928 Edmond Linckels cleared the rubble from the castle and the well and made the site available to the public.
The Renaissance castle of Beaufort dates from 1649 and luckily never suffered severe damage apart from some minor transformations during the centuries. It was built by a famous man from Luxembourg, Jean Baron de Beck. He was born in 1588, in Luxembourg-Grund, as son of a mounted messenger of the Luxembourg Provincial Council and made a exceptional military career.
The Renaissance castle was inhabited until 2012 and open to the public only one year later. It can only be visited on a guided tour taking place during season, from Thursday to Sunday at 11 a.m. and at 4 p.m. You have to register in advance for the tour as only 12 persons can be accepted. Guided visits can however be booked upon request throughout the whole year. The visit leads through the living rooms, the garden and outdoor areas and features the former distillery. The visit also includes the tasting of the castle’s black currant liqueur, called Cassero, still produced in the cellars. The tasting takes place at the end of the visit.