Famille (2 adultes + min. 1 enfant) 10.00 €
Did you know that only three guns from one of the mightiest fortresses in Europe remain? That, until the end of the 18th century, the artillery of the fortress of Luxembourg counted only about 170 cannons in various calibres, while a single ship, Lord Nelson’s renowned HMS Victory, carried no less than 104? Artillery is a key element of fortresses, for its ever-growing firepower forces continuing innovation from the art of defending. Bastions, casemates, keeps, powder magazines, cannon-ball dumps, carriage houses, laboratories, foundries, artillery barracks – everything revolves around the handling and maintenance of heavy guns. Cannons belong to the realm of the imaginary, too. Based on the adventurous voyage of a three-pounder gun, fired for the last time during the 101-gun salute on the occasion of Grand Duke Jean’s birth on the 6th January 1921, the exhibition retraces the constant evolution of the artillery from the end of the Middle Ages until the threshold of the 20th century. During Burgundian, Spanish, French, Austrian, Dutch and Prussian rule, and through baptisms of fire – the siege of 1684 and the blockade of 1795 – guns are captured and recaptured, exchanged, sold, and melt down.