Route D: Through the Syre and Alzette valleys
Road section closed to motorised traffic from August 1 to 30
Distance : 55 Km
Start : Gare Pfaffenthal / Parking Glacis
Show on map
Cycling route : 68 %
Closed road, only residents & buses : 18 %
Mixed traffic in urban areas : 11 %
Mixed traffic out of town : 3 %
Your hiking or cycling experience.
Find, plan and track your trails using GPX files
- Download a GPX or KML application. Simply search for a GPX or KML reader in your Appstore.
- Download the GPX or KML file below with your trail information and open it with the app.
- Start your bike tour and stay on track
Start / destination:
Pfaffenthal railway station / Glacis carpark
Sections closed to motorized traffic:
CR154 Alzingen-Syren, CR132 Syren-Moutfort, CR187 Mensdorf-Uebersyren
Hamm-Moutfort, EuroVeloRoute 5, PC 2 Echternach, PC 4 Wasserbillig
Discover two very different valleys by taking the route through the Syre and Alzette valleys. The journey starts off in the modern Kirchberg area of the capital in the shadow of large modern buildings. In Hostert the road runs past the beautiful old “Charly`s Gare”. From Ernster the route then turns southwards along the River Syre through Niederanven, Schuttrange and Moutfort, Syren and Alzingen before heading back towards the capital, which one approaches through the magically green quarter of Grund before finishing the tour along the Alzette river at the Pfaffenthal lift or on the Glacis field.
Highlights along the way:
- Take a break in the “Ofstellgleis” immediately adjacent to “Charly’s Gare” in Hostert.
- Make a detour to the Schlammwiss nature reserve along the stretch between Niederanven and Uebersyren; famous for its bird ringing station.
- Stop at the camping ground in Hesperingen. It’s cafe is open to visitors. Or pitch your tent there for one night.