The Schueberfouer is THE big funfair in Luxembourg taking place every year from end of August until early September at the huge Glacis-field near the city-centre. Already in July the event is announced by the mounting of the traditional entrance gate at the Rond-point Schuman. The first showmen arrive around the 10th August to erect their booths. From this day on the Glacis is no longer a car park, since it now houses the funfair trucks.
The big rides arrive only 4 to 5 days before the official opening of the funfair. They come from Belgium, France, Austria, Germany, or Luxembourg.
So the "Schueberfouer" is the place where showmen from all over Europe meet once a year.
But the "Schueberfouer" is not only thrill. Its historic origins as the annual market of the City of Luxembourg can still be seen nowadays at the great number of restaurants and the "camelots" in the Allée Scheffer, and that is unique in the Greater Region. You can't go to the Schueberfouer without tasting the traditional « gebakene Fësch » or the "Gromperekichelcher", a typical Luxemburgish dish. Or why not enjoy one of the legendary waffles or the Schappnougat?
Our "Schueberfouer" can look back on a long history, it is one of the only luxembourgish traditions still practiced today. Even before its creation, there have been projects for an annual market in the city of Luxembourg.
Finally it was John the Blind, King of Bohemia and Count of Luxembourg who founded the Schueberfouer on the 20th of October 1340. In the founding document he declared: "Elle [la foire] commencera chacun an la vigile de la fête de St.Bartholomé, et durera huit jours continuels tous entiers en cette matière." This explains why the beginning of the "Schueberfouer" is still nowadays linked to the 24th August, that's to say Saint Bartholomew's day.
The name "Schueberfouer" probably takes its origin from the place the market was first held, the "Schuedburg", which today is the Holy Ghost Plateau. From "Schuedbuerg" one came to "Schuedmiss" and then to "Schuebermëss". Other sources see a link to the German word "Schober". In former times Schober was a covered place used to store hay and straw.
For nearly 450 years, until the French Revolution, the Schueberfouer was in first place, a huge market, joined by an animal market called "Bartholomew's market". A long time situated at one of the crossroads of the important European merchant roads of that time, the Schueberfouer in early times already, was of great economic importance. Cloths, china and other things were sold.
Over the years, the original site became to small. After the wood had been removed from the Limpertsberg, for the purpose of the fortress, the Schueberfouer moved here in 1610. In fact it moved just north of the actual Allée Scheffer, very close to the site is held today.
From the 18th century on the market turned more and more into a funfair where shows, concerts and games were played. In 1844 the first "variétés" appeared.
In 1893, to permit the urban development of the Limpertsberg following the destruction of the fortress, the "Schueberfouer" finally moved to its actual site, just at the other side of the Allée Scheffer. From that day on it stayed at this site.
In the beginning of the 20th century a Ferris wheel and a rollercoaster appeared at the "Schueberfouer". Today we can't even imagine a "Schueberfouer" without them.
So the attractions became more and more sophisticated over the years, but yet, the restaurants and small retailers' booths still survived. The over 670-year-old Schueberfouer has succeeded all these years to maintain a mix of tradition, market, funfair and cultural event deeply anchored in the Luxemburgish consciousness and is nowadays more than ever, THE place to be for the whole population, whether they are young or old and regardless of social standing.