St. Laurentius Church

st laurentius church diekirch
Add to favorites

Description

The "Old Church" with its two naves in Gothic style, dates back to 1467. In the Merovingian period (6th and 7th centuries), a pre-Romanesque church was built in the place of a Gallo-Roman sanctuary, certain parts of whose walls are still visible today. In the 11th century, this building was replaced by a Romanesque church, whose tour has been kept (12th century). Inside, the church has fine frescoes dating from the 16th and 17th centuries. In 1960, a cemetery, probably from the Merovingian period, was discovered underneath the church.

Guided Tour of Diekirch : The city and the church 

Guided tour: 1h30

Information and reservation:

Guides Touristiques des Ardennes Luxembourgeoises
1A, rue du Vieux Marché
B.P. 41
L-9419 Vianden
Tel.: (+352) 84 93 25 27

or

Tourist Office Diekirch
3, place de la Libération
L-9255 Diekirch
Tel. : (+352) 80 30 23
www.tourisme.diekirch.lu

Address

Diekirch
Tel.: +352 26 95 05 66
Fax: +352 26 95 05 66 66


Share this page